What do Bedbugs look like?

THE BASICS:

  • Reddish brown, flat and oval shaped.  
  • They’re about the size of a pencil lead (1/5”) as adults.  
  • They are blood feeders, so their reddish color comes from the blood that they feed on.  
  • Otherwise they are translucent, and yellow-white in color.  It’s easy to see their organs after they have fed.  

 

A female bed bug has just laid her eggs in the crease of a pillow along the stitching

A female bed bug has just laid her eggs in the crease of a pillow along the stitching

EGGS - are very hard to detect.  They’re like little grains of rice.  When the female lays them, they're covered with a very sticky substance, so they can hang on to clothing, fabric, leather, and human skin.  

1st instar bed bug feeding on a human finger.  (photo by: Sorkin and Mercurio, American Museum of Natural History)  

1st instar bed bug feeding on a human finger. 
(photo by: Sorkin and Mercurio, American Museum of Natural History)

 

NYMPHS - also very difficult to spot.  They feed so that they can grow, shed their skin, and begin to look for another meal.

A bed bug harborage (nest): adults, instars, castings (shed skins), eggs and fecal stains. 

A bed bug harborage (nest): adults, instars, castings (shed skins), eggs and fecal stains. 

ADULTS - are about the size and shape of an apple seed.  

They spend about 90% of their time in hiding and the other 10% feeding or searching for food (blood). 

It’s important to POSITIVELY identify your findings as BED BUGS.  At various stages of their lives, it is possible to confuse a bed bug with a cockroach or a flea.  

BED BUG treatment is UNLIKE any other pest treatment, so a positive identification is VITAL.  Don't fall victim to mass-media hype - Stick to the basics and for more information give us a call for a quick chat or submit an inquiry to Cam for a quick response.   

Name *
Name